Most people have heard of the color codes of mental awareness. What most people don't know is that there is a military version and a civilian version of this chart. Because I like to teach from the "everyday person" perspective, here is a review these color codes as they apply to the private citizen.
- WHITE- unprepared, not alert to the symptoms of violence
- YELLOW- relaxed alertness and preparedness
- ORANGE- unspecified alert, something wrong but we don’t know what it is yet. Perceived threat aka Gut Instinct
- RED- initial encounter, you are facing one or more people that you believe have the potential to take your life, or compromise your safety
- BLACK- lethal assault in progress
Cheat sheet version is this:
- White- you are totally zoned out
- Yellow- paying attention to your surroundings
- Orange- attacker might be there
- Red- attacker is there
- Black- attacker is carrying out unlawful action, and you freeze or fight
Self presentation is one of the keys to avoiding criminal confrontation. Bad guys can sense the difference between an easy prey target and one that will fight back and is prepared. There is something in the way we walk, talk, look, etc. Pay attention to what is going on around you and present yourself in a confident manner, and you reduce your risk substantially.
Be safe my friends, and take control of your own personal safety.